Thread: Any Advice
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2016, 12:59 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Purple Foot,

I believe a Medical Source Statement covers a lot of the same information that would be on a residual function capacity.

Is the Medical Source Statement designed by your attorney or is it a standard format?

If it is tailored to YOUR condition(s), that will be helpful, instead of a Medical Source Statement that is too generalized to properly depict your limitations.

I am a little concerned that an Ortho would be the only one you can get to complete the Medical Source Statement. Would he be aware of all your limitations? Can he speak about areas outside of his specialty that affect you?

I would definitely get the Medical Source Statement completed. Have the physician give it to YOU, and if you think it beneficial, pass it along to your attorney. If it does NOT support your case, then keep it to yourself. I say this based upon the post that your attorney MUST submit all documentation he has received regarding your medical condition.

That may not be good advice, but that is what I would probably do. There is a catch there, too. If the physician completing the form (Medical Source Statement) keeps a copy of it in your file, (which he probably will), then it may be obtained by SSDI without your submission to your attorney. On your application, you have agreed that SSDI may contact your physicians and obtain your medical records.

Talk with the physician about the medical source statement before he actually completes it, to be sure he is on board and supportive, so you don't have something written in your file that may harm your case.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
PurpleFoot721 (03-04-2016)