Thread: CRPS and Flying
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2016, 02:10 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always_Believe View Post
I have traveled by air a lot (before CRPS but with a quadriplegic child as well as 4 'normal
children)...only twice since the CRPS (and both were before I was diagnosed)

I agree, pre-boarding is important. Also, a lot of airlines and/or airports will provide assistance transporting you (and any carry on) to the gate.

With my son, we always sat in the bulkhead...mostly because he was a spastic quad and would kick...constantly. But it was also easier because we didn't have far to get on/off the plane.

Going through security can be an issue if you have any pain pump/SCS, so make sure you bring the device card and show the TSA agents. My son always bypassed the scanner & went to a screening room.

As for the flight: my carry on's have always been a small bag with my purse and medication in it and a pillow with a throw blanket in the pillow case. Most airlines allow an additional carry on for medication/equipment. You can also request medication bags be inspected rather than x-ray'd and are allowed more than the '3 oz' of liquid medication (& don't have to baggie it), Make sure to let TSA know about it before going through the scanner.

I wear comfortable slippers and make sure to do as much ROM and small movements in your seat as possible. I also sit in a window seat, but that's because I like to plan which trees to fall on.

I am not sure if it was my first flare or if the air travel affected the swelling/discoloration when I flew before diagnosis. I was very apprehensive flying back but all went without any further problems. As a matter of fact, I experienced more pain traveling by car from LA to Reno.

Great tips! Thanks. I have a very tough time letting my leg rest in the seated position. My feet can't rest on the floor for more than 2 minutes without me flaring up in a very pain filled way. Have you (Or anyone else on here) tried flying first class with CRPS? It seems there would be more leg room. Or is there a spot for a wheel chair to sit where my leg could be resting up off the floor?

*Imagine that, I used to love to fly! Silly CRPS. How dare it make my wanting to go cruising through the friendly skies more complicated?* (as he tosses a ping pong ball against the wall and catches it a few times)