Thread: Scary night
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2016, 05:43 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused Scary night

First time in this section - I'm normally over in the PN section.

Last night was the most scary occurrence until now, by far: I woke up feeling I was chocking or had stopped breathing, and it took me getting out of bed and walking around for a few seconds until I could start up again. Very disconcerting. I'm amazed I didn't fall, as I was completely disoriented as well. It felt like my muscles needed to breathe were not listening to my brain (or my brain had some malfunction).

Before this episode, it sometimes (once every 2 to 3 months) happened just when I fell asleep and I'm on my back. Normally, I sleep on my sides. However, yesterday I was reading, on my back, dozed off, and jolted awake several times.

I do have problems swallowing during the day.

I'm not overweight, which would go against obstructive apnea - although I read that it can happen to normal weight people too. (I also read I might have had a stroke, heart attack, and Parkinson's onset, but that's what Dr. Google does to you... ) The fact that a mild version happened before when on my back might still indicate physical obstruction?

It might be central sleep apnea, but if I understand correctly this can only be confirmed by a sleep study?

As for medication, I take amitryptiline for my PN, since November 2015. No alcohol or smoking. Aged 53, and normally sleep like a baby unless I'm very stressed out. I do not feel tired in the morning, which probably means it doesn't happen all the time.

I will go to my GP tomorrow, obviously, but I'm just looking for a bit more information I guess.
Wide-O is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote