Old 03-06-2016, 12:31 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member
Default Susanne/Debi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne C. View Post
Debi, I am so sad to read this. I don't feel like he has given the morphine a chance at such a low dose. I really did feel 100% better when we got to the 30 mg three times a day. Until he has tried this I don't feel like you should have to give up on the morphine,
Like you I am not a small person. I weigh more than you after the past few months of being non weight bearing, but I am 6'2". Now that my toe has healed I need to stop snacking and get some exercise.
There are these arbitrary standards where bells and alarms go off when you get over 100 mg per day of morphine equivalents , but you are no where near this. My doctor has said he can't go up any more, he is just a family doctor, but this is working well for me. I am getting weaker as expected but the pain is controlled.
I have read good things about methadone but it does have more side effects than morphine as mentioned and most importantly I don't think he has given the morphine a fair trial at a strong enough dose. You have had some success with it, it seems logical to stay with it.
Telling you to do less when you feel good is strange when the whole point is to get you back on your feet. You shouldn't overdo things, or have to feel like if you are only going to get one good day you have to pack everything in, but I thought quality of life was the whole point of pain management.
I am so sorry that you are having to deal with this frustration when the answer may be so close and so simple.
I went from 15 mg x 3 to 30 mg x 2 than up to three times a day because it wasn't covering 12 hours. He must know that you can do this. There is a 20 mg but it is much more expensive.
I hope you get more help soon.

Susanne,
I fully agree with you about using the Morphine 30mg's three times a day, along with Oxycodone for break thru pain.

Debi,
I just can't understand this doctor only giving 15mg's to someone that was actually on a higher dose with the patch. It doesn't make sense. While you may like this doctor; it appears he is too reluctant to prescribe enough to cover your pain. I understand not wanting to change doctors; but he does not seem to have your best interest in allowing you to lead a more productive life.

FYI:
I take the Oxycontin ER at regular intervals throughout the day as well as Oxycondone for break thru. I do take the two together in the morning before I get out of bed.(I never looked at this as double dosing.) I have my alarm set in plenty of time for meds to kick in before getting out of bed to begin my day.

Debi, prayers for a less painful day for you.

Gerry
ger715 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
PurpleFoot721 (03-06-2016), St George 2013 (03-07-2016)