View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007, 04:31 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default I have a few of those cherry angiomas, too.

It may well have something to do with fair complexion and sun exposure--I am also fair and blue-eyed, though my hair was brown before it went gray.

I don't know if I have the answer to kmeb's question; I don't really care if I strip down for a male or female doctor. (Of course, I'm usually talking a mile a minute about some medical thing, and that may be a bigger distraction than my body. ) Perhaps it has something to do with body image; mine is far from perfect--it's got way too much of an abdominal fat deposit compared to my younger days, and I share the overall hairiness of my Mediterranean ancestry--but I don't fret about what I look like in public or in private; it's simply me.

There may be a gender component to this, especially in the developed world and especially in the US, where women are constantly barraged with messages about how imperfect their bodies are. (Men are starting to get more of those messages in the last few decades. Damned ad agencies.)

I also sometimes think it's more of an issue for certain doctors than for certain patients. (Probably those doctors shouldn't go into specialties like dermatology/urology/gynecology/proctology.)

Yes, the "standard" situation has generally been female patient undressing for male doctor, but I thought there was a protocol that a female nurse or aide was supposed to be present, unless the patient did not care(?). (There doesn't seem to be a reverse requirement for male patients/female physicians.)

Would you feel different, Mel, if it were a female dermatologist asking you if you'd like to get a full body exam? Or would that not matter--you simply don't want to be totally naked in a medical office?

The way I look at it, I'm in a professional office for a professional reason, and if that involves looking at an area that is usually covered up, no big deal. (Hey, Dr. Chin's seen my butt several times in the process of taking skin biopsies. All I care about is that he's able to get a proper sample.)
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote