View Single Post
Old 03-08-2016, 12:31 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default My Mom's dementia...My birthday

Hi All,
As some of you know, my 92 yr old mother lives with me and my husband.
She has her own apt in our home.
I try to have breakfast with her every morning.
She has dementia and we have learned to deal with its progression....
Or so I thought.

Today is my birthday, and despite my husband writing it down for her and buying a card she signed last night and leaving it propped up on her coffee cup, when I joined her for breakfast, she had not remembered. As I sat having coffee with her, I thought, decades ago this woman gave birth to me and today I sit here with her and she barely speaks.

For those of you who go, or have gone through this, I know this is one of the heartbreaks but today is the worst she has been in awhile and it just seems especially sad, poignant and heartbreaking on my birthday. I think it is because my motherinlaw died a few weeks ago and my husband retires in a few weeks,
I struggle with cancer issues and can't talk to her about it....or perhaps I am just too self absorbed? I also wondered if she was struggling because she knew she was supposed to remember something today and she couldn't?

Some days she amazes me with what she remembers and other days she is like a toddler who needs help with grooming and dressing. A week ago, she came into the room as I was watching the new X-files and she said, "what's that actors name?" and I honestly couldn't come up with it and she came up with David Duchovney....I almost fell over.

Would love some words of wisdom for those who have traveled this road.
Thanks, Diandra
Diandra is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bluesfan (03-11-2016), ger715 (03-09-2016), kiwi33 (03-08-2016), Lara (03-08-2016), St George 2013 (03-09-2016)