View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

The first time a doctor made me feel yucky (yeah, that's the word, yucky), was when I was 22 years old.

I was overweight, he told me to "get on the scale, I want to vomit". Yes people, that's what he said to me.

Then, at a later visit, I had to go for an internal (my first), he held up his hand and told me not to be nervous and then he said "and don't you dare tell me you've never been fingered". God, the stuff we remember way back then. I had heard he stopped practicing medicine a few years later (I wonder why????). I never told anyone what he said to me. Perhaps I should have but I was a very sheltered 22 year old girl. I've never ever told this story and here I am telling it to you guys. Wow, I must really trust you people.

Oh, I loved reading this:
Would you feel different, Mel, if it were a female dermatologist asking you if you'd like to get a full body exam? Or would that not matter--you simply don't want to be totally naked in a medical office?"

My reply: I haven't been totally naked IN FRONT OF ANYBODY since I was 30 and looked like Elizabeth Taylor. I mean, I really looked like Elizabeth Taylor. It was my best year. Never looked better. Never felt better, or had more self confidence. I actually dated a 20 year old and looked younger than he was.

So I don't think even if it was a female doctor, I'm not taking off any blue ugly dressing gown for anybody!!!!

And you are so right about body image. But, (have any of you watched the new Shaq show - he works with obese kids). Man, it's scary, the obesity epidemic. You would think just the opposite, with the advertisements pushing for people to get skinny, get healthy, and then they come up with triple quarter pounders with cheese... I mean really!!!!

All I can say is "give me my turbot fillet and nice veggies".

I go to Cornell on Friday. Let's hope I lost 5 more lbs. They always make me feel good.

Take care, Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote