View Single Post
Old 03-13-2016, 07:56 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellatum View Post
I'm having a thyroidectomy soon because of a suspicious biopsy (the nodules are starting to cause trouble anyway).

I have had Graves (autoimmune hyperthyroidism) for 20 years, which I've treated on and off with a thyroid suppressant. I got my first MG symptoms after a Graves flare. I've had MG flares after other Graves flares. Thyroid autoimmune diseases seem to go along with MG.

I'm getting my thyroid out for reasons unrelated to the MG, but I'm wondering if there's a chance that when I no longer have a thyroid for my immune system to attack, it will calm down MG-wise, too. Wouldn't that be great?

Abby
I had a total thyroidectomy last year because of thyroid cancer. I have not seen any changes for the good or bad in my MG...I did have a bad flare about a month after surgery, my neuro ordered extra IVIG infusions. to boost my system....but as we know with MG none of us are the same. Wishing you the best with your upcoming surgery.
Stellatum (03-15-2016)