View Single Post
Old 03-13-2016, 09:17 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop262 View Post
Yesterday, my son who is away at college calls home saying he is suffering from severe abdominal pain and thinks he needs to go to the hospital. After talking with him, he seemed to have the classic signs of appendicitis – so we tell him to get to urgent care ASAP. Meanwhile my wife & I pack quickly and make the 3.5 hour drive to meet him there. By the time we arrive, he was transferred from urgent care to emergency room – and has had two CT scans and consults with several doctors and radiologists. Ultimately they decide that he does have inflammation and infection in his appendix, but also in the small intestine. They decide that the underlying cause is not appendicitis but Crohn’s disease. They indicated that it is critical to get the infection under control before too much damage is done to the intestines. They prescribe him flagyl and cipro. I ask about the neurotoxicity of these drugs and whether there are alternatives – but I am told these are the drugs that have been proven most effective for these types of infections. They also indicated that this infection would be extremely serious and potentially life threatening if not controlled quickly.

Ultimately, we decided that the certainty of the serious infection outweighed the potential adverse side effects of the medications. (Gut wrenching decision to say the least.)

So, just looking for some advice regarding what might be the best supplements or anything else that can be done to reduce the potential for the neurotoxic effects of the antibiotics. It would kill me to see him suffering with the same things I do at such a young age. It's bad enough that he will apparently be living with a chronic autoimmune disease for the rest of his life.
Ok, those antibiotics don't cause neuropathy in every use, in fact I believe it's pretty rare they do. They are not chemo drugs, I personally know many people who took then plenty of times without any ill effects
What happen is that they are over prescribed for any mild condition in out patient settings
The use in that condition is more than justified
I wouldn't really worry about PN, rather about his actual condition
Hope he's doing fine and hope he'll get back to full heath soon!
banjanti is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote