Thread: 4th July...
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2007, 01:46 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks!!!

Joselita - well, you sounds like you guys didn't like being under Colonial rule??? and just a small part of the massive Empire? (ok, sorry, I was bought up in a family which served the Empire, where my grandparents, and great grandparents and great great grandparents acted as diplomats, explorers, missionaries, Chief of police etc. (I always find it bizzare that if my great grandad had his way then Gandhi would have been shot (GGdad was chief of indian police before India became independent and was asked to pass judgment on Gandhi for theft and murder).

Enough though. Dare I ask if July 4 is linked to the Boston tea party in any way? I am really going to have to go and learn some more about American history - it's pretty interesting. Joselita, is part of what you said part of the constitution?

And, not to get political, but surely there isn't a high level of human rights in the US? apparently the US has been taken off the UN Human Rights Commision, UN commision on rights of the child etc. Also things like MediCare are unfair, as is the SSI?

War is always bad ( though I realise sometimes things have to be corrected - such as WW2, and I admire the strength of many who join the army - my mother is a Captain and is an army sister (nurse) and my sister will probaly be going into the army next year at some point - (also as a nurse, but she will be a Corporal I think,)well, we hope it will give her discipline! It does make sense to have a day where the past and future can be celebrated, where thanks is give to those who put their lives down to allow the US to be free, but must also be a way of acknowledging that in order to remain free then there will have to be wars, death and unpleasentness.

Do the firecrackers represent anything?

Love to you all and hope I am making some vague sense!!! Thanks for all your info!!

Love

Froggaxxxxxxx
PS Grilled food sounds great. Wish we could have some over here, but it is pouring with rain. xxxxx
frogga is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote