View Single Post
Old 03-15-2016, 01:33 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healthgirl View Post
So than why would they prescribe a drug like mestinon when someone could just take citicholine?
I am actually getting ready to try the supplement, but due to an asthma flare, I am hesitant to start anything new.
Forgive my questions, but I am still learning and the doctors explain nothing.
Citicoline or choline ?

I know a little about Mestinon and haven’t heard about Citicoline ,so as far as I understand from googling….
Mestinon doesn’t cross the blood brain barrier (BBB) and it increases the effects of the neurotransmitter ACh in the nervous system throughout the body, but not in the brain. And this is probably the desired effect in peripheral neuropathy.
Choline might also increase the ACh signal (in different mechanism than mestinon), but it is involved in some other processes in the body, and it can pass the BBB, so it is less specific than the Mestinon and can affect the brain.
As far as I understand from googling and wiki, Citicoline pass the BBB and it is even less specific than choline.

Regarding the doctors that explain nothing.... I am extremely frustrated from this too....
I wish there was a treatment that can improve their communication skills and empathy...
stillHoping is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
madisongrrl (10-06-2017)