View Single Post
Old 03-15-2016, 08:37 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Diandra,

Please let me start by saying what a gracious thing you have done to care for your mother while you yourself are suffering from illness. I hope you can take time for yourself amongst all the needs of your mother.

My mother-in-law was about my current age when I met her. She was diagnosed with Alzheimer's about 6 or 7 years ago and did finally pass away in 2014. She was a bright and caring person who always thought of others before herself. It was tough watching her decline.

I had worked in the medical field with several patients with dementia, but it never was as hard to live it with a loved one. So much changed toward the end, as her walking, talking, and daily living skills were lost. How I missed the days of chatting with her about anything over a cup of tea.

Toward the end, she failed to recognize us, but on some days her smile would stretch across her face and she would reach for you in a moment of clarity. I hang onto the memories of those moments when I remember her.

So difficult to go through, but she has someone she loves close by her and taking care of her in you and your husband. I did not live with my mother-in-law, but I had her and my father-in-law over on the weekends to give him some needed personal time. I took some comfort in knowing I tried to be there for my mother-in-law and did what I could to show her how much I loved her even if she may not have able to fully appreciate it.

Hope I helped you with your questions. Take care, M-i-m
music-in-me is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bluesfan (03-15-2016), kiwi33 (03-16-2016), Lara (03-15-2016)