View Single Post
Old 03-15-2016, 09:43 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Blank New to neuropathy- super scared- MS, anxiety, withdrawal?

During the past year a whole host of issues have come up. It started 9m ago with urinary frequency- which is uncommon for a man in late 30s. Had a ct scan, ultrasound, cystoscapy to rule out stuff and they diagnosed it as prostatitis.

But then 1 month ago after a long trip to Disneyland and carrying daughter on shoulders I started experiencing tingling in right leg which quickly spread to all four extremities. Doc thought it could be nerve impingement in my neck, but then my neurologist said he didn't think so. That's when I started panicking and reading everything on MS - suddenly symptoms flared from tingling to full blown muscle weakness in legs, parasthesia (burning on skin), pins and needles a bit on face.

Neurologist did EMG, MRI on neck and brain, basic labs and all came out normal. He suggested it was stress/ hypochondria and seemed dismissive of the fact that at one point I could barely walk. Prescribed Lexapro for anxiety--told me I don't have "neuropathy" cuz of a clean EMG. But I have no idea what he means since I have all the symptoms (numbness, tingling, weakness, frequent urination).

On top of it I have been on sleep meds (ambien/ lunesta) for the last 8yrs- which I promptly quit after the symptoms started. Others on benzo and related sleep drugs seem to think its the meds/ withdrawal.

I am super scared this could be MS or some other autoimmune disease that is being left untreated and will get worse as a result(what r the odds of having urinary symptoms and neuropathy in the same year) but I have NO IDEA WHAT TO DO NEXT!? My go and 2 neuros have basically said "we have no idea what's happening, call if it gets worse." What tests should I have done? What should I push for? Any drugs I should be taking? PLEASE HELP- I'm totally scared, hyper anxious (but just about these symptoms) and not receiving any feedback from doctors.
Joe2324 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote