View Single Post
Old 03-15-2016, 11:13 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Pressure Dizziness - PCS or Panic?

Hi! This is my first post. I must say that I've found some relief in reading through the posts - namely, that some of what I go through is 'normal'. So, thanks to all of the posters.

I fell in early 2015 - I was fine at the time of the fall (I don't remember hitting my head), sustaining a cut on the white of my eye and subdural hematoma beneath it. It wasn't until the next day that the symptoms began to show - dizziness, confusion, memory loss, inordinate amounts of sleep, fogginess, loss of balance, extreme nausea.

The doctor did x-rays, and didn't see anything, so I was diagnosed with cervical strain and sent back to work. I continued to get worse.

My first episode of pressure dizziness happened nearly three weeks into this (I hadn't been diagnosed with PCS at the time). I had gone to physical therapy, and he was really rough with me that day - had me lay on my back, which made me extremely dizzy - and then jerked my head to the left and right up and down, holding it in different positions. At the time, I think I had a pinched nerve, as my neck was in a lot of pain, but the PT said that I was just being dramatic, and continued with the head jerking.

Afterwards, I made my way to the car (yes, I still drove, dangerous, but I had no other way of getting to work, doctors, etc.), waited for the swimmy dizziness to calm, and pulled on the road. At the red light, the first hint of pressure dizziness came - it was a new sensation - I'd never felt anything like that before, and by the time the light turned green, I was concerned, so pulled off the road.

The pressure dizziness got horribly bad, and pain shot across my temples. When it was done, I was worried that I'd had a stroke because it was such an overwhelming moment, and also decided to seek out a chiropractor, hoping that it had something to do with the pinched nerve. (And my chiro was awesome! Fixed that pain first go, and it hasn't been back.)

The next pressure dizzy spell happened at work a week or so later (full duty at the time). I was feeling off that morning (the pressure dizziness came and went in small bursts - 3-4 seconds at a time), and when I got to work, I lost my balance and threw up my breakfast. I sat in a dark room for a bit, and then stayed very close to a coworker because I was still feeling really off. My boss came up to check on me, and said that I was sluggish, though I didn't think I was.

I don't remember too much after that except the pressure dizziness got super bad, one of the EMT's kept calling me 'babe', and that I wanted to sleep. A CAT scan was run, and it came back clean.

An MRA of my neck was run a couple of days later, it came out clean.
I was sent to a neurologist, and was diagnosed with post concussion syndrome.
The pressure dizziness would come and go - sometimes with a week in between spells (A month and a half is the longest that I've gone without one of these spells). After five months, and with little improvement, she put me back on full duty and said that five months was more than enough time to recover from a brain injury.
I was referred to a Brain Rehabilitation clinic, and was diagnosed with Acquired Oculomotor Deficiency - which is part of the reason why my balance is off and I have regular swimmy/woozy dizzy spells.

I've had two MRI's of my brain and one of my neck - all are clear. I've been tested for thyroid problems, RA, lupus, and other things - all negative, and did make changes to my diet to make sure I was getting what I needed.
But the pressure dizzy spells persist- and lately I've been getting them a lot. The last one was pretty bad, and I nearly cut off the tip of my finger with an immersion blender. I've fallen against active machinery at work, nearly fallen down stairs, and have been lucky, thus far, that when these come on, my coworkers or family have been able to stop me from hitting the floor. I've fallen during these spells on multiple occasions, though I don't really remember falling. I just know that someone caught me.

Over the past year, my condition has worsened. My balance is worse than at the beginning, and sounds... Oh, the sounds... Drunk mornings (I'm not drinking, but I wake up feeling drunk - I drink lots of water, so it isn't dehydration) have been worse - rather than feeling like I've drunk a beer or two, it feels like I've downed a bottle of tequila, and I stumble through the house with a pounding headache.
I was put off work because of a second fall last month- which has undone a great deal of my recovery. I didn't hit my head, but did twist my neck really hard, and have had many pressure dizzy spells since then.

I know the doctor is limited as to what she can do because of comp, and that my next appointment with her will see me on full duty again. I'm not after being off work, I'm after getting better. The pressure dizzy spells need to stop, and was wondering if this is a normal part of PCS after a mild brain injury (or, what's presumed to be mild, considering no one checked for three months).

In my research this week, I did read up about panic attacks, though it seems odd. While there's definitely a few occasions where I was nervous, I was calm before most of them - even happy before they occurred. My heart hasn't fluttered, though there was an adrenaline rush on a couple of occasions. But, I'm not discounting panic - maybe I just don't realize it. Or maybe it's just another symptom of PCS?
LillyBelle77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote