View Single Post
Old 03-18-2016, 08:03 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Concussion Question and Managing Life with a Sensitive Head

Hi everyone,

I’ve posted on and off here and have received helpful responses each time. I wanted to try again.

Two days ago, I went down to lift in my office gym. This was the first time I’ve lifted in probably 6-7 months and I went at it with greater intensity than I ever did before. After my lift, I went back up to the 9th floor of my building to grab groceries from the fridge. I hit my head on the bottom of the freezer door when trying to pull some of my groceries out.

On a scale of 1-10, I would give this hit 2-2.5. The pain was noticeable, but it felt like just another typical head bump that happens to all of us every now and then. Not a “Wow, I just hit my head” type of impact. I gathered my groceries, walked out and started to develop the panic attack like response that tends to accompany any bump to the head. My stomach got a little nauseous, my fingers got a little numb, and I noticed a headache starting to creep up, and the sense of worry start to loom. I went to join a few friends outside at a local grocery store and had one beer after my friend offered to buy me one (it’s stupid, but I didn’t want to upset or refuse his kindness).

Later Wednesday evening, I went home and had a mild headache. Most of the other symptoms (nausea, numbness, etc.) stopped – I noticed those definitely tend to be byproducts of anxiety rather than anything else.
However, as the anxiety dissipated the headache has remained. It’s been on and off, remaining somewhere between a 1 and a 3.5-4. Sometimes it’s there, sometimes it’s not – today, I woke up with a headache but as I write this, I don’t have one. I do feel a little “spaced out.”

In the past, I think most questions I’ve posted on this forum have come from a place of anxiety. Right now, though, I feel pretty level-headed and like I’m able to give a more “objective” outlook on my symptoms right now.

Last year, I posted about feeling symptoms from a heel-drop which Mark helped dispel as pure anxiety. Two weeks ago someone aggressively opened a bathroom door while I was walking out and that whacked me in the front of my head, right around the temple. I got anxious, felt a little woozy, but decided it was likely no big deal and went asymptomatic after a few hours.
As of right now, my symptoms include: on-and-off headache, spaced out, sleepiness (but I didn’t sleep well two nights ago and this isn’t unusual). I have not had any memory problems, sensitivity to light or noise (I live in a city, so I think I’d feel this), confusion, poor balance, ringing in the ears, difficulty thinking clearly, etc.

As silly as this sounds, I’m open to this being a concussion. If it is, I’d like to know my head is just that sensitive and go from there. It likely means that I’ve received far more concussions than I would hope for. I know I’ve received two, but I’ve had bouts like this maybe 8-10 times. I already live a healthy life, take supplements, and generally avoid anything that puts me at risk for a serious concussion.

I want to know what people think and I feel like most people here have a more nuanced and researched understanding of what constitutes a concussion and what doesn’t than many medical professionals.

Thank you kindly for your time and thoughts.

Sincerely,
Squash
squash291 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote