View Single Post
Old 03-18-2016, 06:02 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Cervical spine problems

I am a 60 year old female with a history of longstanding spinal stenosis. 10 years ago, I had a two level foramenectomy without fusion due to bone spurs compressing the nerves and causing loss of function of my hand. The surgery was a success.

I have markedly increased pain throughout my neck as well as pain and a sensation of heaviness radiating into my upper right arm. I recently started to experience pins and needles and intermittent feeling of ice water in my arm an burning in both shoulder. These symptoms are starting in my left arm. A few days ago, I started to get occasional sensitivity to the touch and spasms in my Thigh

The MRI showed reversed lordosis in the cervical spine as well as grade 1 anterolisthesis c3 upon c4 and c7 upon TI while the MRI from

C2/c3 uncoventtebral hypertrophy with moderate to severe left neural foraminal narrowing

C3/c4 left sided foraminal encroachment

C4/c5 c5/c6 . left disk oseophyte complex causing a mass effect on the ventral subarachnoid spaces abutting (not displacing) the cord

c/6 to c/7 degenerative facet changes with severe bilateral neural foraminal narrowing and mild central stenosis. Marked spinal stenosis secondary to bulging disks and posterior osteophytes and bilateral foraminal narrowing

t1/t2, posterior disc protrusion

t2/t3 slight anterolistesis with posterior disc bulge. Disc appears to contact but not definitely compress the ventral aspect of the thoractic cord

t/3-t/4, I had right paracentral disc protrusion.

Flex X-rays were normal

i don't want to be fused due to concerns about the domino effect

I Doctor recconends a 3 level laminectomy without fusion. I am concerned that this may destabilize the spine. Another neurosurgeon recconends a one level foramenectomy without fusion. A third recconends a two level foramenectomy with an artificial disc. What are the pros and cons between these proceedures?
Roxygirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote