View Single Post
Old 03-18-2016, 06:04 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHC View Post
It does have a number of flavinoids to be sure, but it doesn't seem like quercetin is one of them: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14733505. But who knows, perhaps these specific flavinoids can also help block mast cell mediators. I haven't looked into them. Histamine is just one of many things released by mast cells. Quercetin is not the only one studied to prove useful for mast cell stabilization, as some Pubmed research will show. Actually, here is the product created by the physician and his team based on their studies: http://algonot.com/product/neuroprotek/. But it's more expensive and has additives that I don't want. But quercetin seems to be the most effective of even these, though much more study would be needed.
Hi David,

First of all, thank you for the information and support.

I'd just like to encourage you to get tested for MCAS....For, from all your posts it seems like this might be an apt diagnosis and also one that is not as scary as some of the other disorders you've considered (like sarcoidosis ). I know the testing can be iffy, requiring the refrigeration of urine, etc., but if you and I know this, they might too! Also, there is a big difference between MCAS (deregulated mast cells...normal counts) and mastocytosis (too many mast cells) ...I'm noting the difference for our readers. The first is a managable illness, the other is far more serious. It is the latter that requires a lumbar picture (to my knowledge) and I also think you would be much sicker if you had it (ie have frequent bouts of anaphylaxis, etc.)

So, I suggest you do the MCAS testing for peace of mind and next steps. This is why I'd like to do it too. In addition, mast cells release cytokines as well as histamines....and these buggers, if unregulated, can cause inflammation....might explain your gut issues, as well as my depression and "sickness bevavior:"... my great fatigue. Not to mention MCAS often accompanies/causes PN and dysautonomia. (Caveat: I'm not well versed o
in all of this --I was in the social sciences! , so I'm open to correction!). However, when I first started reading about MCAS recently, I immediately thought of you, David!

I think it's worth the money to find out if this is what underlies your symptoms --- CC will cost far more.

As for the supplements, thanks for the info, but I'm hesitant to take anything with more than one ingredient.....my allergies are active.

Pinkynose...thank you for the thumbs up....I've taken to carting around my test results!

I'm so grateful for everyone's comments and observations.....it means a lot to me....

Sylvie
SylvieM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote