View Single Post
Old 03-19-2016, 03:11 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHC View Post
Bluesfan,

Thank you for these interesting links. So it seems that the only human products with totarol are toothpastes and skin care products and nothing for ingesting? It just looks so promising as an antimicrobial.

Regarding the other point/avenue, I found this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC90351/. This is a very interesting method and looks promising. I'll read more about it.
Hi David

Yes - re the totarol - sadly from what I've read it's the old problem of the high cost of clinical trials and meeting health and safety regs for humans that has delayed the push into human use - that's why the foray into animal health is more advanced. They have taken out patents for use in medical products so hopefully something in the pipeline.

I read a post from kiwi on another thread about the use of Manuka honey for wound healing and can't help thinking there may be some connection to totara (a podocarp) - Manuka is also a dense very hard wood that is impervious to rot - similar to Melaleuca alternifolia - both part of the myrtle family.

Thanks for the additional link on the other article - haven't read it all yet but have book marked it - very informative. If you're interested in the whole topic of antibiotic resistance you may want to google "Norway antibiotic policy" - some years ago I read a newspaper article about how Norway was limiting the use of antibiotics - it was a full 2 page article and very interesting - I have it stashed away somewhere but wouldn't know where to find it right now but there is plenty online about their policy.

Last edited by bluesfan; 03-19-2016 at 03:18 PM. Reason: adding info
bluesfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote