View Single Post
Old 03-19-2016, 07:37 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Help in Minnesota

First time poster, long time lurker. I've recently been diagnosed with Neurogenic TOS, and looking for opinions and other options. I'm a 34 year old male from Minneapolis who works as a local truck driver hauling gasoline. I work 60-70 hours a week, and average 250 miles driving a day. I am also the provider for my wife and young son. For the past year, I've been having increased numbness, tingling, bicep burning, scalene (stabbing pain). I'm starting to get some numbness and burning on my left side as well. I've tried PT, and it had no effect for me. I've been seeing a chiropractor for 2 months, and didn't have any left side issues prior to seeing the chiro. I have had dry needling in the past, and relief for a day or so, then back to issues.

I'm losing my ability to perform as a husband and father to my young son, and I'm looking for a second opinion. I've undergone an MRI of the brain, thoracic spine, and left/right brachial plexus. The right brachial plexus MRI showed nerve inflammation/swelling of the c8 nerve, which my vascular surgeon said was rare to see. Neurologist concluded I have non specific Neurogenic TOS. Doppler test was negative. I have an EMG scheduled next week. I've been advised to have a rib resection, or to try botox injections of the scalene muscles to see how I react. The health system I use has no one performing this technique, so I'm at a bit of loss as to what/where to go next. Both of the Dr's listed in the sticky are in their 80's, and I can't find them in their respective clinic websites anymore.

Is there anyone on this board from MN who has had luck with MN surgeons, Dr's, therapists, etc? I'm an hour and half from Mayo clinic, but don't find much information about them in dealing with thoracic outlet. I'm basically looking for a second opinion before I have a rib possibly removed. Ironically my mom had a rib removed 30+ years ago for TOS as well, so it very well could be my anatomy. I should also mention that I had 3-5 concussions in my youth, struggled with headaches for 5+ years (10-15), and started noticing pins/needles (hot/cold sensations in 1998 ish. From there I would get burning/fatigue while shoveling snow, sweeping, digging a hole, etc. Basically anything with push/pull activities. This has increased, and brings me now to my numbness, burning, etc etc. I have always been a truck driver, farmer, machine operator, etc. Had a fair amount of computer use in the past, but try to limit it now as it flares me up terribly. So my symptoms very well may have started as early as 1991/1992 with concussions, headaches, and has slowly progressed from there.

I'm rambling now, and it is a bit unorganized, but looking for anyone in MN that might have a suggestion where to go or who to see. I'm not afraid of rib removal/surgery, just trying to make sure it is the right fit for me, my family, and my recovery.
Dieselgeek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote