View Single Post
Old 03-20-2016, 12:28 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Barefoot too long!

I'm new to the forum. Hoping to learn from your experiences and share what I've discovered about CRPS.

I'm a clinical psychologist by training and used to do research. Thankful for this as it has given me a bit more credibility with medical personnel as I seek treatment and relief.

I sprained my ankle about 6 years ago, but it was not treated properly. I fell again in January 2015, and broke my ankle, tore two tendons, damaged my calf muscle and developed a Morton's neuroma by my toes. I had surgery to repair all this in March 2015 and was healing well. Four weeks post-surgery I began having hideous nerve spasms in my foot, and was eventually diagnosed with CRPS. I've tried a number of things to relieve pain and try to get back into a shoe:
- physical therapy that included desensitization, electro-stimulation, massage, and range of motion exercises. I had to quite because the pain was so horrible the night and day after sessions.
- Accupuncture, Accupuncture with electro-stim, and dry needling. These therapies were dreadful and exacerbated the pain and swelling in my foot.
- Medications: gabapentin and Lyrica were tried for the nerve spasms. Gabapentin didn't do much for me. I felt a little relief with Lyrica, but gained weight and felt like sitting and drooling all day. I couldn't think! I take cyclobenzaprine when the nerve spasms trigger muscle spasms in my calf. I am currently managing pain with either Vicodin or Ibuprofin. Neither eliminates the pain, but takes the edge off so I can usually function. 1-2 tablets of Vicodin knock me out, so I only use it when I'm really hurting.
- I have tried to have a spinal cord stimulator implanted twice. The first time the doctor tried to implant the wires retrograde (going down the spine). I got some pain relief and slept better during the trial, but when they tried to implant the wires permanently, they couldn't get them in. I then did a very brief trial with the wires going up my spine, but the signal never reached the outside or top of my foot.
- Prayer. Lots and lots of prayer from dear friends and family around the globe! So thankful for this support!

I am now waiting to go to the Cleveland Clinic on April 20 to consult with Dr. richard Rosenquist. He is supposed to be one of the leading researchers and experts on CRPS in the country. I'm praying they have something for me and that I get back into a shoe sometime this year! I haven't been able to tolerate a shoe for over 15 months and am using a knee walker to get around. I've taken a Sabbatical from my work as a speaker/executive coach/business consultant. It's taking all of my time and mental and spiritual resources to stay on top of this disease and keep a positive outlook.

Thanks for letting me share my story! **
Blessings!

Last edited by Chemar; 03-20-2016 at 06:38 AM. Reason: ** NT Guidelines
Barefoot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Littlepaw (03-20-2016), zinnia (05-19-2016)