View Single Post
Old 03-20-2016, 02:03 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Just an update, for those who find this thread through desperate googling of symptoms. I have fairly large calluses on my toes around where the numbness starts. The calluses have no feeling to the touch, but that's normal for calluses - the problem is that the numbness extends beyond them into the soft skin. My podiatrist said that the calluses are caused BY the numbness, but I feel like I've always had them. My GP thinks maybe the calluses are CREATING the numbness? My podiatrist has cut them off before (still no sensation in that whole part of my toes) but maybe maintaining a callus-free foot will provide relief. I bought a callus remover, which is like a little electric shaver device, and went to town on my toe to see if it was somehow creating nerve compression.

Well, the callus remover actually hurt a lot. It left a cut (which healed very quickly - so no diabetes/circulation issues?). It's weird because I haven't felt any sensation in this area for years and all of a sudden I have a painful cut. Don't know if that's significant, but I had to stop with the callus remover.

I do get shooting numbness and tingling all through my legs though, but lately I've noticed it more in my right knee and both the back and front of my thigh directly above that knee. my right thigh actually bothers me a lot - it gets numb easily, prickles, burns (not painfully, but I feel a heat, like my thigh has a fever) and sometimes hurts for a brief moment. I get fasiculations EVERYWHERE, but especially in this area. Just as a point of clarification, I do get these symptoms in BOTH legs and thighs, but it is especially noticeable in the right, which is also where the foot numbness started before spreading to the other toe.

So far no weakness, but if I had SFN, would I have it as far up as the thigh this quickly? Maybe there's a connection. Maybe my sleeping, walking, exercise habits are taking a toll on my legs and feet that causes these symptoms. I'm just still struggling to understand how a non-diabetic 20 year old male develops idiopathic neuropathy. My orthopedist checks me regularly because I have severe scoliosis, and has ruled out sciatica or nerve impingement that would cause thigh discomfort or foot numbness. He also insists that I wouldn't be getting symptoms in BOTH feet bilaterally, because even IF scoliosis caused nerve impingement (which it rarely does in patients my age), it would only be one side, because my spine is curving to one side. So I'm positive it has nothing to do with my back.
DHCKris is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote