View Single Post
Old 03-21-2016, 10:40 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shug2003 View Post
Winged Scapula can be from damage to the long thoracic nerve which is in the brachial plexus nerve bundle. Thoracic Outlet Syndrome occurs in the lower portion of the brachial plexus. You also need to find out if you indeed have winging scapula. A lot of physicians say you have winged scapula when you really may have Tipping scapula. They are 2 different things but most doctors just lump both of the terms together. If your scapula juts out at the bottom when you are standing with your arms at your side - that is anterior tipping of the scapula and not winging.

You should have a doctor do an EMG of the brachial plexus nerves to see what is going on. I have a tipping scapula and my EMG showed suprascapular neuropathy (upper brachial plexus - innervates supra/infraspinatus) and Dorsal Scapular neuropathy (upper brachial plexus - innervates rhomboid). Keep in mind the Thoracic outlet is located in the lower brachial plexus. Sometimes you can have both upper and lower brachial plexus damage. I was diagnosed with neurogenic Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, suprascapular neuropathy, and dorsal scapular neuropathy. Like you, my biggest complaint was the constant pain in between the shoulder blades/upper back. Constant spasm and irritation in that area. The more I messed with it with stretching, trigger point therapy, or massage the worse it got.
Okay yeah. The bottom portion of my scapula just out at rest, but when I get down to do push ups or any front loading exercises it looks a lot more like winging. I have had 2 EMGs on my ulnar and median nerves and they came back perfectly normal, which is upsetting in a way because it made my neurologist doubt my symptoms. For some reason he was not interested in looking at the conduction from any other nerves.

And similar to you, the more I mess with it the worse it gets.
jzp119 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote