View Single Post
Old 03-21-2016, 07:38 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shug2003 View Post
This sounds really similar to what I have experienced. I was a heavy weight lifter - and now I have to take it very easy or it will surely flare up. I also have a stand up desk which helps a ton. Reading, using an ipad, or even checking my phone will cause irritation. I refuse to sit in couches as well, have to keep posture perfect as much as possible. If I sit in a couch it causes a flare every single time. MY thoracic spine/shoulder blade locks up. I also flare up for no particular reason at times. I try to stand as much as possible. I sleep on a very hard bed...soft bed and I wake up with that nasty spasming/burning feeling in neck, thoracic spine, upper arm and shoulder blades. I used a theracane for months and it really just made things worse. Countless massage therapists and Physical Therapists without really any relief.

If I were you, I would try to find a neurologist who is skilled at doing an EMG on the brachial plexus. They are hard to find...I went to 2 other physicians who said my nerves were fine just like you, the 3rd one said I had chronic suprascapular/dorsal scapular neuropathy which explains the symptoms. He is the only one who performed the EMG on the brachial plexus. I would bet the problem itself lies above the collarbone.
Also, I had surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome 3 years ago hoping that it would stop the pain in between the shoulder blades and correct the scapular winging/tipping. Unfortunately, the surgery did not help at all. The spasm and irritation is still there and the scapula is actually worse than before. My supraspinatus muscle was visibly atrophied after the surgery, meaning the doc probably irritated the suprascapular nerve even more while performing the surgery. I went to one of the best TOS surgeons in the country - Dr. Robert Thompson. If I could go back, I would have never had the surgery. Now I'm dealing with all sorts of new issues because of scar tissue surrounding the brachial plexus nerve roots...confirmed by MRI.
shug2003 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote