View Single Post
Old 03-21-2016, 10:35 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default TBI/PSC questions/support

Hello,

This is my first post here. My daughter got hit in the head during cheerleading practice in November 2015. At the time she was 15 years old. I expected her to bounce back after about a week. I took her to the ER once she got hit. I knew she had a concussion. She had never had any head trauma up to that point in her life.

The first week she slept 22-23 hours a day. I took her to the doctor and expressed my concern. After two week of this and her not eating much. I took her back again and we were referred to a neurologists. Once she woke up she was completely different and I hate saying that it breaks my heart. She had noise sensitivity, light sensitivity, insomnia, migraine headache, anger out burst, she was foggy headed, anxiety, recurring nightmares when she did sleep, memory loss, lack of short term memory .

We met with a neurologist and the diagnosed her with TBI and PCS. She was taken out of school because she could not constraint, her migraine was severe and thinking and focusing made it worse. My husband took 2 months off of work because she could not stay home alone.We went to weekly appointments for the neurologist to check on her.

She did not have ANY improvements at all until 6 months post injury. I took her to a hospital that has a concussion study and PCS as well. They had a sit down meeting about my daughter since she had so money symptoms. She stumped everyone and all I am being told is can be 1-3 years for her to heal.

I tried every possible treatment that I found online that had helped with this type of injury. So here we are 16 months post injury and my daughter is still not recovered 100%. She has mood swings, depression, anxiety, and shows no emotions. Her psychologist put her on 200 mg of Zoloft and she has been on it almost a year. I have her taking Vitamin D, B12, and prenatal vitamin daily.

With that being said my daughter has improved in some areas. She struggles in school and she use to have a 3.87 and now is a 3.33. She is on an IEP because she takes long to do work and cannot finish standard testing in the allotted time given, her memory loss so she needs notes and open book to help her.

I am wondering how long she should be on the Zoloft? Does the Zoloft help with her moods and lack of emotions? I am wanting to wean her off to see how she does. I want to know if there is anything else I can do to help her recover?

I feel so hopeless. I want my daughter back the way she was before. I know I am not the one going through all of this but I hurt for my daughter. I hurt that she has given up and lost so much because of this. I feel like my family and I are alone and no one understands. I just don't know what else I can do.

I would appreciate ANY advise, anything anyone had done that has helped and what your thoughts our on the timeline I was given.

Thank you,

Carrie
rambomomto6 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote