View Single Post
Old 03-22-2016, 07:37 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healthgirl View Post
The neurologist who took took my sfn biopsy could not find any cause for the nerve damage and only had my high ANA to work with. She was determined that it must be sjogrens.

I still have a numb spot in the middle left of my bottom lip from the lip biopsy over a year ago. My test came up "borderline" or "unequivocal". The rheumatologist and neurologist discussed my case and decided that I should try Plaquenil.

That was it!
So.. even if Sjogren's is the cause of nerve damage all over my body, all they are going to offer is Plaquenil to take every day for the rest of my life.

I haven't tried it yet because I told think I have Sjogren's. I don't have joint pain. My pain is in the innervation of muscle, joints, skin, etc. So, my joints hurt, but it is not the actual joints. I don't have fatigue, it's that my nerves literally won't let my muscles do what my brain wants them to do.
As far as the dry eyes, I believe it is my autonomic system causing that. On the days I have less autonomic symptoms, my eyes are not as dry.

I don't have any advice, just though sharing my situation might help.

Actually, Plaquenil does NOT treat neuropathy...even in Sjogren's. Plaquenil is a DMARD (disease modifying anti rheumatic drug) that helps with the fatigue, joint pain and other side effects of the Sjogren's...not neuropathy. It's not going to help your neuropathy at all. Neuropathy from Sjogren's is typically treated with IVIG or other typically neuropathy treatments.

Honestly, you should see another doctor. The information you have been given is incorrect in regards to treatment options for neuropathy from Sjogren's.
en bloc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Healthgirl (03-22-2016)