View Single Post
Old 03-22-2016, 12:05 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default The rules keep changing, leaving me confused

I am guessing I am not the only one perplexed with food and weight.

Ever wonder why some people can eat all the "wrong" foods, lots of them, and never gain an ounce? And some people can eat very healthy and can't seem to lose a pound?

Well, if you have ever wondered about these strange phenomena, then you and I are not alone.

There is no simple answer in my opinion. I think a person's weight is much more complex. Eat too much and you gain weight. Don't eat enough and you gain weight due to your body thinking it is in starvation mode. Guess, simple calories in versus calories out is not the only thing at play.

One decade, the food pyramid is completely different from another decade.

Eat this, don't eat that. Well, that changes, too.

Low carbs .....

Low fat ......

No ONE answer works for everyone.

No wonder there are almost as many "diets" as there are people.

The only thing I know from my own personal experiences is that I could eat anything as long as I was very active, giving great credence to the calories in and calories out theory. When I became sedentary, my weight continually crept up on me.

There is not too much I can do about the sedentary lifestyle as it is the result of disability as many of us here experience.

For medical reasons, I have been on a very restrictive "low carbohydrate" diet for 9 years. Eating "healthy" does not translate into weight loss. Maybe portion control is the problem. Oops, tried THAT, too.

I am now in a position where losing some weight is essential for some newly developed health issues and don't know how to make that happen.

I have looked into so many different diets and diet plans and none some to be the answer for me.

I have a nephew that has had great success so far with a type of ketogenic diet but from what I have read, it would NOT fit my tastes.

I would never be able to sustain eating foods that I do not like and have never been able to swallow.

My current meal plan consists of LOTS of vegetables, (I LOVE MOST veggies) and a baked or boiled protein, such as chicken (boneless and skinless), turkey, fish, tuna, salmon, and the once in a blue moon, pork.

I guess I am considered a "picky" eater, as I don't like most fruits, nuts, berries, melons, etc. NEVER drink sodas or alcohol. The ONLY beverages I consume are water, coffee, and the occasional milk.

I don't use any seasonings and never cook with nor add salt to food. Not to say I never get "salt" in my food as I do eat out on some rare occasions and drink tons of water to quench my thirst from the salt in the food. I do not eat processed meats from the deli.

I rarely eat a sandwich, always a "hot" meal, avoid almost all starches with the exception of a banana every now and then. Don't purchase bread but once a year and throw most of it out.

I KNOW I could lose weight if I could engage in some physical activities, even little ones but that is not in the cards now.

Anyone with any ideas on how I can lose some weight? I have tried just about everything. I am sick of my low carb diet for the past 9 years without any reduction in my weight. I need to keep it low carb, but I also need to lose some pounds.

Thanks.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (03-22-2016), Dankert (11-20-2020), kiwi33 (03-22-2016), Lash (10-14-2019), PamelaJune (03-30-2016), St George 2013 (03-25-2016)