View Single Post
Old 03-22-2016, 02:38 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Mark, Jbuckl and Bud - thank you very much for the responses.

I have tried to take the advice about calming my anxiety and everyone's assessment that most of the symptoms I experience likely come from anxiety to heart.

However, I have continued to wake up with tension headaches (although the severity of the headache when waking up has decreased notably since last Thursday). I continue to feel "spaced out" occasionally. Sometimes, it feels like my brain is in danger from taking walks (people say it feels like their brain shakes when they walk - I wouldn't say that's how it feels, but it sort of feels like I'm trying to balance a big plate of dishes). I do get "sensitivity to noise," but mostly when my anxiety/fear overwhelms me and I just want to remove myself.

I understand anxiety might cause most of these symptoms. However, tension headaches (the kind I have when I wake up and the kind I have experienced throughout the day) are an abnormal anxiety response. i normally don't get headaches when anxious about things other than my head.

I've had two concussions. The first was from a skateboarding accident in 7th grade. I did not lose consciousness, but could not open my eyes, screamed "Help," someone came and grabbed me and I went to school the following morning just fine. Apparently I averaged 100s in my science class that year so I'm assuming this head injury did not affect my academic performance.

The second concussion was from a major car accident senior year of high school. The car rolled multiple times and stopped after landing in a tree. I lost consciousness for maybe 15-20 minutes, but did not have any lingering effects. My mom tells me I was totally fine afterwards. I remember the before and after as well. Listening to Blink 182 in the car, speaking in coherent sentences to the paramedics, the ER doctor, and going to a family friend's house.

I know that two concussions is two too many, but I also know, for most people, it's probably unlikely that I'd have such severe head sensitivity after them. But, I do know (from stories), that it is possible to concuss yourself from hitting your head on a fridge door, a cabinet, etc.

Among many other reasons for my interest in trying to figure out if it's likely I've developed a severe head sensitivity issues, there's a very practical one: I've been accepted to medical school and am "theoretically" attending. While in school, I don't want to hit my head on a fridge, lose all short/long-term memory capacity, and have to withdraw from medical school while 80, 160, 240, or 300K in debt.

I've seen doctors about these impacts before, but plan on seeing another one shortly. Thank you all for the continued words of encouragement and the very thoughtful advice. I am trying to keep myself rationale, but it is hard not to get emotional.

Sincerely,
Squash
squash291 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote