View Single Post
Old 03-24-2016, 10:32 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I also thought that I couldn't get any exercise... I mean I have a bulging herniated disk and fractured vertebrae in my lumbar, a bulging disk in my neck, a torn rotator cuff in my shoulder, torn ACL's and MCL's in my knees, tearing and degeneration to 6 tendons in my ankles, severe muscle spasms that only increase the stronger the muscles get... exercise! yeah right!!!

But then I happened to find 2 programs that were sensible and that had exercises that could be done while sitting down completely through the entire thing. One can be found on YouTube it's Mister Motivator, he's a bit cheesy but it's actually a lot of fun. It really inspires you to move along. And they even have video of others stories with their MS and how they cope and how they've coped with doing the exercises. The warm up is a great place to start.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz0cr3gueBU

Another one is from the MS trust which is a British version of the MS society here in the States. But in addition to needing someone over in England to order it for you if you're not there, it's not quite as good. I mean it is still a great program, but it's seems more quickly paced and it doesn't give you the time between exercises to gather what you'll need to use next and it doesn't go through all the reps of the exercises with you unlike the Mister Motivator videos.

The exercising has definitely put a lot more pep in me and reduced my stress values a quite a bit. I still have to use the wheelchair for any long distances and still use my AFO every day. I'm not really any stronger than I was a year ago, and it hasn't made my symptoms disappear. It's just made me feel better in the soul if not in body if that makes sense.

I hope it will help you out as well. I know I spent a lot of time far more depressed then I would admit to. I mean I actually had plans, good ones, for how to end things. And my fair share of notes to my family members as well already drafted up. And would often curse the mornings that I woke up finding myself undead. And no exercise hasn't been a magic cure-all, it's just placed my plans on hold for a bit for now and has me cursing a few less mornings. And I still can't do anything more than the warm-up exercises though it's been a few months , but hey I did lose 5 lbs.

Gardening has been another great 'therapy' we'll say, even though I had a severe back spasm that may or may not have led to more problems in my lumbar spine, but made it so I couldn't plant our garden this year but had to watch my husband do it. But still, I get the little walk around our yard checking out our roses, our bulbs, flowers, herbs and veggies as they make their way into the world. And I can sit and watch the little geckos as they do bug control, and the birdies feeding from feeder and occasionally poking around the garden for some buggies and worms.

It's getting to be hot as Hades here to where my outside time becomes greatly reduced, but I can still enjoy the early morning trip through the yard a nice little sit down among the flowers with a cup of tea before heading back inside for the day. Where books become my obsession.

Now if that's not your particular cup of tea. I would say find something that is, make yourself a little nook that is filled with what you love, what makes life a bit more likable to you. Do a few simple exercises after breakfast and then retire to your little place. A simple comfy chair, maybe a smart phone playing some favorite music and a small hobby; painting, making models, building kites, reading, writing...etc... Give yourself a good half hour to an hour "time out" with things you love, plus a bit of exercise and you might feel a little better with out taking meds or 'talking out your feelings'
ker0pi (03-30-2016)