View Single Post
Old 03-24-2016, 04:05 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default The pump

Have any of you heard about the pump for Parkinson's? it was approved by the FDA in January of this year. It is carbidopa/levodopa in a gel form which is administered through a PEG-J tube,very similar to a feeding tube. No more taking pills by mouth, is absorbed right into your bloodstream. I am currently on the pump now. I still have pills just in case something happens with the pump.

The medication is expensive but there are many organizations like the one I applied to and got a grant to cover the cost of medication that insurance would not cover.

I urge you to look into this. Today for example I have been on my pump all day long and have not had any dyskinesia, rigidity or other symptoms and have not taken any pills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingMyBest View Post
Soccertese,
Being a pragmatic person, I wasn't going to wait for the "cure" or wait til DBS was not going to be an option anymore. My tremors got to the point where they affected my QOL. The process takes time and the surgery was looking at a fall slot. My wonderful Dr. got me in earlier. For insurance you need solid documentation from a reputable doctor. Call insurance co. beforehand to verify coverage.
First you take a lot of cognitive tests. Then you take an off on test to check how meds are affecting you. Then you will have either 1 or 2 surgeries (I prefer 2). My 1st one was the hardest as you are unmedicated and awake for the brain's electrodes. That will be harder for those with dystonia or dyskenesia. I have neither. I waited for my tremors to be on both sides to go bilateral and not to have go through this again. The 2nd one was to insert the wire and generator. This part you go under. I had no complications. In 2 weks I go for my turn on day. I was dx at 51 and I am in my 10th year.
Jim091866 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
soccertese (03-24-2016)