View Single Post
Old 03-24-2016, 04:15 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccertese View Post
hi, i posted this under another thread but am repeating it here, you commented on some of my questions on another thread so sorry that i'm being a little redundant in my questions

"TRYINGYOURBEST,
just curious, i'm signed up for DBS evaluation and it looks like a very rigorous series of tests in 1 day, especially being non-medicated for 12 hours. would you mind summarizing your testing experience? it seems like besides gathering info necessary to present to an insurance company that you need DBS they also want to make sure you can withstand a day of stress that won't be nearly as bad as what the DBS operation will be like plus see what support you bring with you? Did you wonder about this, cuz it seems like they could easily schedule multiple appts for the URDS(?) unmedicated eval, depression, dementia and final neuo exam. sorry about being so nosy. "

i have no tremor, just extreme rigidity, 12 hours off will let me be a great male model, absolutely no movement.

It was not all on one day. I've had over 4 days of different apptmts so far. 1) for the cognitive test, 2) for the on off testing where you come unmedicated but then you are given the med after a quick observation by your dr, 3) op for the electrodes where you are awake about 6 hrs, and 4) op for the generator when you are asleep about 2 hrs. So you have to endure really just 1 long day w/o meds.
I like how my DBS was done. Very smart. If they try to do it in one day then maybe shop around. A very experienced place/drs will know how to handle patients like you on the op day. You will need someone to be there for you for the unmed days. I know a friend with pd that had gone rigid and couldn't move at all on the day of his op and had to be carried into the hospital for the op. Hope this helps.

Last edited by TryingMyBest; 03-24-2016 at 04:36 PM.
TryingMyBest is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eds195 (03-24-2016), soccertese (03-24-2016)