Old 03-26-2016, 11:18 AM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleFoot721 View Post
Debi,

I was referring to MS Contin - Morphine Sulfate Continuous in particular, a brand of morphine ER

It is my understanding that it is slowly released over a 6-8 hour time frame. I think I read somewhere that it has about a 7 hour half life but I am not sure about that. Part of my problem was I did not think it was helping me much. When I tried to go off of it, I started to have withdrawal symptoms when I started taking them every 12 hours and also realized that it was helping. Going through mild withdrawal twice a day on top of having to deal with the high amount of pain for a few hours before I the next pill started to help again was not much fun. It was still better when I ended up going for 2 days without it at all. After those 2 horrible days, my PM had me go back on it titrating back up to 4x a day. We tried 3x a day, but that was not working either.

We all have different rates at which our bodies process our medications. Hopefully 30 mg every 12 hours works well for you. If you start having any problems, whether it is pain from SFN, or even a really bad headache, shaking, muscle aches, that seems to come on the same time every day, don't be afraid to bring them up with your PM.

Alaina, that is exactly what I am taking; the controlled release Oxycontin which pretty much the same; but it really does not last the 12 hours; that's why taking it ever 6 hours totally up the same amount; but now you have taken the 2nd one just before the 1st starts to wain down. The Morphine Debi is taking has pretty much the same extend time; just does not hold out for 12 hours.

I have been doing the same dosage and taking this the same way for the past 4 years. The insurance company and whatever agency is not considering the patient constantly going thru some withdrawal. Thankfully, I have a doctor that understands this.

It is great having you, or for that matter each of us going thru our pain; but care about helping each other out the best we can.

Gerry
ger715 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hopeless (03-26-2016), PurpleFoot721 (03-26-2016), St George 2013 (03-29-2016)