View Single Post
Old 03-26-2016, 12:31 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I too just had DBS, done in 2 surgeries, one in Dec. & one in Jan. Both were "awake" surgeries, though you get some sedation type meds to help you through it, and you are put completely under briefly for the chest implantation. Being awake for the drilling into the skull was the hardest for me (not painful, just LOUD), and having to wait in hospital bed for the surgical team to arrive while off meds, because I was extremely & uncomfortably wiggly (would have been fine if allowed to walk around while waiting). I did the neuro-psych testing a couple of weeks before that, no problem. Since I'm participating in a "blinded" study for a new device, the wait to know that I've been turned on (maximally activated) & properly programmed has also been very difficult (a very slow 12 weeks, still 4 more to go). But I did get a brief preview of the way things could be, possibly due to post-surgical brain swelling or a brief "honeymoon" effect, and it was unbelievably wonderful! Hope I can get back there soon.

I should add that I was considered a very good candidate for DBS: tremor dominant, never responded well to PD meds, good cognition & neuro-psych test scores, few other symptoms, age 70.

Last edited by Peony; 03-26-2016 at 12:37 PM. Reason: addition
Peony is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
soccertese (03-26-2016)