View Single Post
Old 03-27-2016, 10:14 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Thanks for your good wishes

The post below was dictated to me by my daughter:

Thank you everyone for the thoughtful replies and good wishes. It is good to know that other people seem to have gone through this and gone out the other end of it. This has been a real challenge for me, but I am still hopeful that something will help me get better, and I appreciate the suggestions. I have a couple of questions about some of them.

First of all, concerning antibiotics, is any particular antibiotic that has been helpful, or is it antibiotics in general? About a month ago I went on a two-week course of ciprofloxacin for unrelated reasons, but I didn't notice any reduction in symptoms. Would this mean that antibiotics probably won't help me, or is there a different kind I should try?

Regarding Xanax, I had understood that benzodiazepines may be linked to brain damage, and therefore are not ideal for PCS for that reason. I had ruled them out because I thought that, but if I am wrong, I would definitely reconsider them.

Regarding spinal taps, I would be more than willing to have this done, but I am not sure how to proceed. I asked a neurologist about this option a year ago, and she said she would not authorize one because she did not think it would help me. How were you able to get this done? Should I go through a different neurologist, a GP or possibly the ER? Is this commonly done for PCS, or is it easier to get it done for another condition?

Mark, I am taking an SSRI and have been for almost a year now, and it helps with my depression and anxiety, but I have not seen any effect on PCS so far. It is interesting that you mention an anti-inflammatory diet, because ever since my injury I have had persistent inflammation in my temples, and have not been able to find anything that would make the swelling go down. I was even on a short course of prednizone for my asthma a while ago, and that didn't do anything for the swelling either.

I am able to talk even though it makes my migraine much worse. Do you think it is OK for me to talk occasionally even though it worsens my migraine? Will this lessen my prospect of recovery, or is it OK to indulge as long as I can handle the pain?

Also, does anyone know if there is any way to raise the concussion threshold or to prevent the cascade of damage that is triggered by a bump to the head?

Once again, thank you all for your thoughtful replies, and I wish you all the best in your ongoing recovery from PCS.
JudyAnn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote