Thread: Cymbalta
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Check out the latest on the news regarding SSRI's of which Cymbalata is one.
SSRI's are associated with bone loss in the elderly...they did not define elderly. Now I assume they used a control group not on SSRIs and one taking SSRIs and did bone density tests. I don't know for sure what variables they controlled for or what they defined as elderly. Post menopause usually gets us females tossed in that group.

I have always had my concerns regarding SSRIs, predominantly because they are the most prescribed drug. They are generally the first prescribed drug even before any test is done....what is wrong with that picture?

Prior to SSRI's hitting the market, drugs for depression were more dangerous and less often prescribed. You had to see a therapist for 8 weeks first....now we have a new use for those old drugs...pain control (tricyclic antidepressants)...Those are highly anticholinergic and if you look up what an anticholinergic does, you will see what a lot of folks have as symptoms of disease or side effects.

SSRI's combined with tricyclic antidepressants are a recipe for disaster. I refer you to the Cytochrome P450 chart online. SSRI's impede the metabolism (efficacy and excretion) of many other drugs.

If Cymbalta works for you fine. If it doesn't you'll know. For myself, I tried it and after 3 pills I thought I would die....that solved my indecision. Other people love it.

By the way, Daniella, I don't sleep either, and I have what are called 'paradoxical reactions' to medication. I have had episodes of 'anesthesia awareness'. I had a C-section when they thought I was out...I wasn't. The worst was getting intubated...sometime after that I konked out, but by then they had already cut...I had a lovely girl. She is in her 30's now. I had one other episode with general anesthesia...I crashed upon 're-entry'. My BP and P and temp plunged....simply described as shock. I can not be put to sleep with massive doses of choral hydrate. Benadryl keeps me up and ticking with bodywide RLS for days as does any anticholinergic or antidopaminergic. There are a few old standbys that I predictably react to...and that is it. Those are mostly the drugs that doctors are loathe to prescribe.

Good neurologists admit they don't know much about neurology, nor the drugs they prescribe. Mine aptly asks me what 'poison' I haven't tried yet, and we together decide what 'might' work...(haven't had a lot of luck.) Mind over matter seems to have been my best medicine, and lately, my mind doesn't matter..it isn't working all that well for me either. Eh, tomorrow is another day.

We are not all wired the same. It doesn't mean we are sick, because we react differently to meds, we are just wired differently.

You can be phenotyped to see if you have any genetic polymorphism in the identified families of the Cytochrome P450 system. Some people just can not tolerate some drug 'families'. Plus people with autonomic neuropathy have a tendency not to react predictably to drugs.

When new drugs come out, I prefer to let a few million other folks down them first, and see how they fare. Then again, I simply refused to eat Chinese fish when I saw them on the market too. Unfortunately most of us have enough melamine in us to be featured on HGTV, not to mention the raft of antibiotics we eat via animal products...Ah yes,
back in the old days we just had cholera and tetanus...it was so much simpler then.
cyclelops is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote