View Single Post
Old 03-31-2016, 08:48 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan View Post
Hi Healthgirl

I was given IV Flagyl (Metrodiazanole) during appendix surgery in 2014 - I already had mild partial PN and after that it progressed to full-body on going pain.

Flagyl is a member of the imidazole group of antibiotics and nitazoxinide is a member of the thiazolide group of antibiotics. So far I haven't found any info on the thiazolide group causing neuropathy - maybe someone else can correct or add to this.

I did a quick search for info on nitazoxinide and came across this abstract that discusses the possibility of a novel use to actually treat diabetic neuropathic pain. There are other similar studies online but very technical. Be aware this article is recent (Aug 2015) and the science may not be fully investigated yet.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25762088

The main use of nitazoxinide seems to be for the treatment of diarrhea - if this is why you are being prescribed it, I can recommend taking a good probiotic as one way of managing it.
Thanks Bluesfan,
I'm a bluesfan too!
I'm sorry that you had this problem with flagyl. From what I read it can be reversible. Hopefully, hopeful for you.

Thanks for that interesting link.

I am going to talk to my neuro and then go back to the gastro, because my neuro did tell me that Flagyl rarely causes neuropathy, but that I could ask for an alternative.
I am big into probiotics and they definitely help, but whatever is plaguing us doesn't seem to be tamed by my remedies.
Which probiotics do you find the most helpful?
Healthgirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bluesfan (04-04-2016)