View Single Post
Old 03-31-2016, 04:33 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Dacello,

Second opinions are sometimes life changing. There is nothing wrong with getting more information, especially if potential surgery is at stake.

As someone who suffered a nerve injury and repair, then RSD/CRPS from a later and unrelated surgery I would encourage you to try medications to get your nerve pain more settled. Intense, noxious pain input is not healthy and over time can cause changes in pain processing. These can revert with pain reduction - thanks neuroplasticity - but your pain has to get controlled first.

Taking a medication that helps calm your nerves will make you more comfortable and help reduce inflammation in your nervous system. Gabapentin is a common choice for this as are some of the old tricyclic antidepressants in much lower doses than used for mood. I had luck on both gabapentin and nortriptyline. Separately not together, at least for me.

Either neurology or pain management can help you. Getting started on something may also help your PT. With ramped up sympathetic nerves it is quite difficult to tell what is what. You may be able to do more safely but just can't tell because of pain from upset nerves.

I hope you get relief soon.

Shine Your Bright Light
Littlepaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote