View Single Post
Old 03-31-2016, 06:14 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Default New Neuro & BIG Tecfidera News

I went to see my new Neurologist at The Shepherd Spinal Center in Atlanta. This was my second visit with him and he was going to get me started on Gilenya.

He brought out my blood test results from my previous appointment and said that my white blood count was low. Very low. He said it was from me being on Tecfidera the previous year.

Then he said something that shocked me. He said that symptom had become a real problem with Tecfidera and he had taken all of his patients that were on it off of it immediately. I was speechless. He then said hadn't I noticed the over abundance of commercials for Tecfidera lately. I had noticed it but just chalked it up to greedy Big Pharma. He said that's exactly what it is.....they're pushing to get the med out there. He said that most if not all of his patients had a decrease in their white blood cell count and even the ones that had not experienced it yet he wanted them off the med. I asked him if the company that manufactures Tec (Biogen) knew about this and he shook his head yes and just rolled his eyes. Apparently they know about it and have not yet put out a warning! What??!!

Anyway, I am still taking nothing until my white blood cell count increases.

I did find this warning in the side effect section of Tecfidera's website:

TECFIDERA may cause serious side effects including allergic reactions, PML, which is a rare brain infection that usually leads to death or severe disability, and decreases in your white blood cell count. Your doctor may check your white blood cell count before you take TECFIDERA and from time to time during treatment.
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Aarcyn (04-01-2016), agate (04-18-2016), bddouglas (03-31-2016), Blessings2You (04-06-2016), bluesfan (04-06-2016), Grammie 2 3 (04-04-2016), Jappy (05-13-2016), mrsD (03-31-2016), NurseNancy (04-01-2016), SallyC (04-15-2016), St George 2013 (04-01-2016), Starznight (04-02-2016)