Thread: C5 Palsy
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2016, 09:55 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

What kind of surgery did you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastek View Post
week 20 - More improvement in my range of mfovement. I can now almost reach the top of my steering wheel while driving. I can also touch my forehead with my finger. One month ago, I could only reach my nose. My bicep strength has increased a little, but my arm has to be flexed about 10 degrees (using my other arm) before I can curl it. I still cannot turn my palm up unless my arm is resting on a surface. Your bicep muscle (surprisingly) is mostly responsible for your ability to turn your wrist (like turning a key in a lock) and since my bicep is almost non-existent, I cannot turn my wrist and curl my arm at the same time.

At this point, these improvements are due to the nerve sprouts I wrote about in an earlier post. The nerve roots have not regrown yet. It may take another 6 months for that happen (if it happens). Since my recovery has been so slow, my doctor is not optimistic that I will see complete regrowth of the nerve roots. How much regrowth I will see is just a guess at this point, but 50% is what the doctor has predicted.

As far as the pain goes, there has been no improvement. Pain in the forearm and deltoid areas are pretty intense without 1200 mg of Gabapentin, 3 times a day. Doctor says the pain will not likely go away until the main nerve root has started to regrow. I don't know which is worse, the inability to move my arm, or the constant pain.

The buzzing and tingling that happens when I tilt my head down has gotten much better. It is still there, but not nearly as bad. Maybe I have just gotten used to it.

I will keep updating this thread, but only when there are significant improvements, or if there is anything relevant to add. I don't want to bore everyone with such a long drawn out timeline.
Roxygirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote