View Single Post
Old 04-03-2016, 10:03 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Thank you Hopeless, sorry it has taken me a bit to get back into this discussion. One thing that I didn't make very clear in my rant, is the second Doctor I saw was actually the admitting Doctor. She was not technically the ER doctor, I was admitted to the hospital already, but say it was my ER experience because I never left the ER bay. I spent 2 days there, well almost 3 days.

I don't know why the neuro wasn't involved, my mom did ask if the admitting (druggie accusing) Doctor had even consulted him. And the doctors answer was when I left there I was welcome to walk across the street and see him.

To acyryn, I do know the insanity of ERs, my mom was a long time EMT, my grandmother a nurse, along with 2 aunts and an uncle. My expectations for medical care in the ER is basically stabilize to send home or stabilize to admit. I don't run to the ER for a bandaid and then cry because it took them four hours to give me one. If I'm going to the ER it is because there is a very real probability that there is some illness or injury which requires IMMEDIATE MEDICAL ATTENTION. I am in very real distress, my care can not wait till next Friday when my pcp has an appt available, or until morning when walk-in care is open on the chance it appears to be anything walk-in care can treat for.

What I expected as a human being regardless of being in an ER or my local grocers, is to be treated with at least half as much respect as a house hold pet.

Assume for just a moment, you brought your pet, dog/cat/bird... To an emergency vet service, the poor thing just wouldn't stop crying, you couldn't get it to move properly. But you bring it to the closest place you can find that's open, rather than risking a further trip or waiting till morning to bring them to your vet. Now you're back there with you beloved baby who is so clearly in pain. But the vet takes one look at you... You're in your pjs, unkept, a bit blurry eyed... Your dog gives a whimper in pain and the vet snatches them by the scruff and gives them a shake telling them to quit play acting. What a terrible parent you have, typical drug seeking behavior... Get the dog to play poor poochie so the owner can take their meds... Well no meds for you, you get an aspirin and that's it....

How many pet owners would let that fly?! How many associations? ASPCA?? The Humane Society? The Veterinarian Licensings Boards? How many people would be up in arms ready to riot over the vet. And yet because I'm human I don't deserve the same amount of respect I would most certainly expect for my pets from their veterinarians.

So yeah... Kind of what I expect. I'm not going for an omni omni poof! You are better. I'm going to the ER with pretty fair expectations on being admitted to the hospital for something, and upon admitting, especially during the week, I expect the doctor who takes over my care, has contacted my doctors already... Hopefully before torturing me and calling me a druggie.

And yes my husband was told by the nurse that under no circumstances could he go and get me food, my mother was told the same thing. Nothing to eat or drink that isn't given by hospital staff from the time you check-in
Hopeless (04-04-2016), Kitty (04-04-2016), NurseNancy (04-04-2016), SallyC (04-15-2016), St George 2013 (04-03-2016)