View Single Post
Old 04-04-2016, 07:24 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan View Post
Hi Healthgirl

Sorry to hear you still haven't found the cause of your neuropathy yet. You've been on such a tough journey trying to find out.

My neuropathy is most likely autoimmune, (secondary to Addison's Disease), so while the Flagyl brought on a severe flare up the basic cause remains. Like you I'm trying to find ways of managing the symptoms and reducing pain.

I agree the probiotics may not help directly with the pain but I take them because with Addison's I'm prone to infections and have found them helpful to prevent gastro problems.

The two probiotics I've found useful are: (Both available from i-herb)

California Gold Nutrition 'LactoBif' - (5 billion CFU - 8 strains) and:

Nutrition Now 'PB8' - (14 billion CFU - 8 strains)

I make my own 'no-added sugar' plain yogurt and started adding one capsule of the 'LactoBif' to the mix (1 litre volume), (open the capsule & add contents). The probiotics naturally multiply in the yogurt. You can taste the difference - it's slightly more sour than the standard yogurt mix (2 probiotics), but texture remains same. When the 'LactoBif' was out of stock I started using the 'PB8' but found 1 capsule made the yogurt different - thick - almost curdled with quite a sour taste. Assuming it was the higher CFU concentration, for the next batch I added only about 1/2 the contents of one capsule - problem solved.

I've definitely noticed an improvement with stomach issues since starting this (Dec 2015) - no more vague stomach pains, nausea etc. I suspect I had a hidden on-going candida issue after the antibiotics more than a year ago (despite being treated with regular meds at the time). Sometimes if I feel if there is some other issue going on I will take a capsule orally.

All the best if you decide to go ahead with the antibiotic - re your neuro telling you that Flagyl rarely causes neuropathy - given that you already have some form of neuropathy - there is a risk it will aggravate it. If you choose to go ahead and try the nitazoxinide can you please let me know how you get on - I'm trying to compile a list of safe antibiotics for the next time I have to be in hospital - any first-hand info would be appreciated.

On a similar note I don't know if you've been following a thread posted by en bloc about genetic testing for finding which meds will work for you (and which you may react to). You may find some useful info in the links she provides. Here's the link to her thread:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread234203.html
Thanks!
I will definitely keep posting my updates. Not doing anything drastic yet, just always exploring options.
Healthgirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bluesfan (04-04-2016)