Thread: Dental issues
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2016, 11:14 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Bryanna. Long time since I last chatted with you. I had posted but removed the post because I thought maybe my Dentist might see it but now I really don't care. Let me give you a little update. I always got a checkup twice a year when I worked and had insurance. They told me last year being my teeth were in good shape they would see no reason if I wanted to wait a year so I of course I agreed. Bad move now I am thinking.

I go in last week and was told I have cavities under two of my older crowns. I also have cavities# 4-9 -24-25-26 and 32. My Dentist asked me what had changed in my health for all these cavities to show up and I don't have a clue. She asked me if I eat sweets and I told her only once in a while.

She asked if I was diabetic and I told her my last A1C in November was 5.6 and I have never been told I was diabetic. I do know my blood sugars have been easing up for the last 12 years but I do watch what I eat and test several times a week to make sure I am keeping good control and I do exercise almost everyday.

Never had an A1C over 6.0 in the last 12 years but I still ask to have it done at least two times a year at the VA. I am now using the VA because I think they do blood work better and faster than my regular doctor and I have the results the same day.

I did have a medication added last year called Colistipol but they said nothing in that medicine should caused all this. I also changed blood pressure medicine form Lisinopril which I have found to have caused leg and ankle swelling.

I now am on just one B/P Med called Losartan/HCT 50-12.5 and now all is good. B/P is perfect and no more leg and ankle swelling. Only been on this one for three months but I would not think it could have cause all this in this short time ? The Lisinopril has been the cause of this problem for years and I even mentioned it to my Doctor and he said they didn't look that bad but I know better because at night they would get heavy. The problem is now gone since the different medicine.

The only other medicine I take is Flomax and I did not see anything that would cause a dry mouth and maybe cause teeth cavities. I also take an acid blocker for reflux.

One more thing they told me is I need a root canal under one of my older crowns and I know how you and me feel about those things.
I called Friday and asked just how they knew for sure if I indeed had infection under the crown because I never had any problems with this tooth ( number 14 ) number 15 and 16 have been out for over 30 years and was wondering why not just pull this one and been done with that problem. I think I can manage to eat without number 14 and I know what root canals can cause.

They also told me that it was possible that the two crowns they said had cavities under them might could not be saved. One had a root canal many years ago and the other never had one. They could not know until they removed the old crown to see how bad decayed it was.

The cost was what shocked me if I did decide to have all this work done. More than $4000.00 and of course I never planned for this when I retired even though I can afford it.

You think I might need a 2nd opinion on all this work ??... I have been using this dentist for at least 12 years now and so far she has been good but now I am wondering ??

I will be age 69 in August and when I was very young I didn't take good care of my teeth plus probably bad genes as both my parents had dentures at an early age.

I have taken great care in the last 20 years and I floss everyday and brush after each meal if I am home. She did say teeth are like old cars,, they sometimes just wear out and give more problems as we age. I have even thought about having them all pulled because I have many crowns and several root canals over the years.

She also asked me if I have dry mouth and I do believe I wake up in the morning with this and really don't know why all of sudden. Maybe one of the meds is indeed causing this or just sign of aging ?

I am not going to spend the $1800 for the root canal on number 14 plus new crown, I do know that but will an oral surgeon pull it just by me asking ?

How would I know for sure just how bad #14 is because like I mentioned it has never give me any problems and never any pain when eating. I am a little confused after calling them Friday and they told me I could wait on it for a while ??

Sorry for the long post but I guess you could say I am not happy about all this and as always I appreciate your advice. Tom

Last edited by threeputt; 04-05-2016 at 08:03 AM.
threeputt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote