View Single Post
Old 04-05-2016, 11:10 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default New here and need some direction.

Hello everyone,

I am about six months into my experience with neuropathy and need some help in trying to get a little relief from this pain and getting a semblance of a normal life back.

Here is a little background: My neuropathy came on in a subacute manner after an incredible stressful month last September. During that month I was having panic attacks at night and sleeping only 3 to 4 hours a couple of times a week. Then one day I woke up after not sleeping well with tingling in my wrists and hands. I knew something was wrong and the tingling continued for the next few days and then turned into a burning sensation on the tops of my hands and wrists. I also experienced very light symptoms in my feet but it was so light that it really did not bother me as much as my hands.

I went into the doctor about two weeks after the tingling began for an exam and blood test to see if any thing was abnormal. The Dr. noticed some loss of vibration feeling in my toes and all they found on the blood test was low vitamin D and high calcium. They prescribed clonazepam to help me sleep and told me that this is probably a reaction from stress and would probably go away in a month or two.

I saw a neurologist at about the four month mark and at that point was actually feeling better. I felt like I was healing and he was pleased to hear that and scheduled me for a nerve conduction study. He gave me the nerve conduction study the following week and said that there were issues in the test where my nerves we're not sending information at the proper speed...I asked him how bad it was and he said it was moderately negative. His diagnosis was that I had a sensory form of GBS brought on by stress and a broken elbow I had 3 weeks before the initial onset and said that the PN should heal in six months to year. Unfortunately after about two weeks from the test I have what I felt was a major attack on my legs with tingling and pain for about one week and then severe burning in my feet and partially up my legs. This setback was huge...it really has made life miserable.

Now after seven months I have burning all the way up to mid thigh also my back has a periodic sunburn feeling and my scalp seems overly itchy and slightly painful. And of course the hand and feet pain are debilitating. It seems as this neuropathy has taken over my whole body. I have now gone on sick leave from work and if I don't get better I may be on LTD by August.

I have a few questions:

First off I looked into trying to get my neurologist to okay I V I G treatments but he told me that none of my blood work that he performed showed any reason to prescribe that treatment. I was wondering if that treatment could be offered by a provider to maybe help my condition if I pay out of pocket for it? I am desperate to keep working. Regarding my job...I love it and it is well paying and to have to leave it would be a tough thing for me...I really feel like I need to work...it has been part of me since I was a young man...I am now 53.
Needless to say i would pay my own way to get better and even go overseas to find any type of treatment.

Secondly, is it worth going to a place like Mayo or JHopkins if all the test they run can be done where you live?

Thirdly...I can't take many drugs due to my job...I mean I can now since I am on SL but to work again I need to be drug free...so is there a good topical type of cream that I can take to help with the burning...any suggestions?

I know this is a long post and I appreciate any advice or ideas on helping me battle this terrible condition. I've read several posts on this website and I can tell that it is great to see the care and love that the members of this form provide for each other. May we all get better and find peace in our lives and hopefully a cure from this malaise.

Thank you,

Sven
Sven is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ShaggyChic_1201 (04-05-2016)