View Single Post
Old 09-23-2006, 10:01 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I did therapeutic riding in the mid 80's when it was just coming into vogue. It helped immensely in keeping my abductors and other hip muscles stretched. It also helped with balance, and most importantly self confidence. I was a very phobic child about all physical activity mostly because I didn't have the ability to explore my world (climb, run, jump, etc) like other kids. What momster said about the improvement in speech makes perfect sense, believe it or not. There is just something about the sensory experience of this type of therapy that does things for some kids.

Are all these benefits unique to riding horses? I don't think so. But, I do think it is a fun therapy, and you can't discount the value of that. So many things that CP kids are put through just are not fun. This is.

Finally, I got to go to school the day after "horse time" and brag to all the little other first graders that I got to ride a horse. That was one of the few things that I did that most of them did not

Don't expect miracles from it, and just see what happens. I have a ton of wonderful memories from riding. If given the chance I would do it again. But, I'm not sure this achy, creaky, tight body could get back up on that horse.

Nicki-- 27 Spastic diplegic, sometimes walks, sometimes rolls
NJenn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote