View Single Post
Old 04-10-2016, 09:32 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Jake,

I think it is too early to apply for SSDI although starting the application process has some benefit as the various assessments are done. SSDI does not provide much of a living. I've been struggling to live on SSDI since 2007.

I would rather be working but I can't work in a structured indoor (office) environment and don't drive so the remodeling work I did for 20 years is not practical. I need to be able to moderate my environment.

I think it would help if you determined what aptitudes you have at present. Wanting to help others vs having an aptitude to help others could be important. The important part is to try to identify your strengths and work with them. It is often much less stressful to work with your existing strengths than it is to have to maintain an intellectual growth in a discipline. The college path to a career may be too stressful, both in the schooling and the final job.

I have a TBI friend who took 10 years to finish his professional counseling degree. He was injured as he just finished high school. He has the knowledge, life experience, and personality to help others. He is a natural at it. But, he still has to moderate his daily life.

So, determining what work environments you can tolerate would be a start.

I did great with the one on one environment of remodeling work in customers' homes. The task was highly technical from a remodeling perspective but not intellectually stressful. I was able to master the technical aspects without being over-stressed.

An occupational psychological assessment may be helpful.

I just believe one needs to find something to stay busy, even if it does not pay well. SSDI allows one to make $1070 per month and still receive SSDI benefits. That would allow 100 hours of $10 per hour work per month.

My best to you as you consider these issues for you future.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote