View Single Post
Old 04-11-2016, 11:31 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Some inappropriate fight or flight reactions

I have some emotional problems that I am wondering if anybody else has had to deal with. I've always had hereditary depression, and my sister has it as well, however now after the concussion I also have anxiety.
It didn't happen immediately I had a concussion about a year ago well almost a year ago and I didn't have anxiety up in till December of last year when I tried to go back to work and only lasted two months I ended up having a relapse and since that time about a month into my work I started having a great deal of anxiety and my depression increased. They had to make some alterations to my anti-depression medication because I was getting extremely depressed and feeling so low that it was scary. That for the most part is resolved I don't get as down as I did before now I have hopeless days are days where I feel completely hopeless but the worst of it is me wanting to go and live in a trailer up at the lake for a year rather than the alternative which would be worse so things have in fact improved.
The anxiety is a Mistry to me because I have never had to deal with anxiety in my life in fact I was always more calm maybe then people thought it should be under different circumstances. It's not that I become afraid it's that I become extremely angered easily. This comes out mostly at my husband and usually involves me using language that I've never even used before which makes it difficult on him always very forgiving.
My Nero psychologist says that this is something to do with the fight or flight response in the brain kicking in at times where it shouldn't. It could be as simple as something like my husband getting upset with me for overdoing it so blaming my symptoms on me. I just seem to lose it. The Nero psychologist explains that win the fight or flight response kicks in in your brain that your friend whole lobe goes dormant and is unable to think clearly which makes sense to me. She's also sending me to a neurologist to see if he can find something that she has missed because she expects that I would have been significantly improved before now . I'm a little leery of going to see him because on this site I see quite a few bad experiences with neurologists although she swears he is really really great.
I'm not on any medication for anxiety but Am learning to do calming exercises from my neuro psychologist.
It just seems that I can be extremely happy extremely sad and crying or extremely upset and angry but there doesn't seem to be very many times that are just an even keel.
I am just wondering if others have had similar situations, and what it resulted with, or what was done to help you deal with the mood swings.

Thank you for any insight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joannetb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote