View Single Post
Old 04-11-2016, 11:01 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Boiler1993, I'm in New York, not Texas, unfortunately. What's good though is I recently learned that Weill Cornell Medicine in NYC has a whole Neuropathy Center with some of the best doctors for diagnosing and treating neuropathy. I made an appointment for June.

I'm still not convinced that what I have is neuropathy though because I really don't have pain at all. I have body-wide tingling and fasiculations (twitching). My eyes, groin, chest, ribcage, buttocks, thumb, toes, ankles all twitch.

The tips of my big toes are numb (I've lost about 90% of feeling) and I get little tingling and "shock" feelings through my toes, heels, ankles and left knee and thigh. It's like a tingle that jumps around these areas. Honestly I probably wouldn't notice it or think it was abnormal if it weren't for the toe numbness, so I would say that's my main symptom. The tingling can get pretty intense, but it's never PAINFUL. My feet get sore easily around the numb parts, but it's like a normal "sore foot" feeling, not like a burning sensation, though I do get very slight burning/cold feelings in my feet and legs sometimes too.

I have quite severe scoliosis but my doctors feel confident there is no nerve impingement or CNS issue that's causing this, or anything related to my spine. Still though, I can't help but wonder if scoliosis is the culprit in an indirect way - like it definitely messes with the alignment of my legs, since my hips are slightly askew, and it alters my balance and my gait. I wonder if many years of walking "funny" with a crooked back has caused nerves in my feet and legs to get compressed. My doctors think it's plausible but they told me I should see a neuro who specializes in neuropathy to do a biopsy, so that's my next step.

I know I should consider myself lucky to not have pain, but I want to avoid this progressing if it truly is SFN. I'm terrified of that happening because I'm so young and because my life is really great otherwise right now. New job, new living situation. Plus, I have a lot of health anxiety and tend to obsess over these things, which isn't good. As soon as I noticed my toes were numb it triggered health anxiety that has yet to go away. Really, I would say the anxiety is my worst symptom, but I'm getting that under control too, thankfully. I just want to feel like a normal person again! I'm sure you feel the same.
DHCKris is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote