View Single Post
Old 04-12-2016, 12:40 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Once I realized you are using iPhone talk to text, you post made more sense. Siri needs to learn how to listen better. LOL

Anti-depressants usually have anti-anxiety effects so adding an additional anti-anxiety med is interesting. I took a benzo with an SSRI but to help me sleep without jerking. But, it left me sleepy all day.

Frontal lobe damage reduces executive functioning (judgement) and can result in impulsiveness. One fight or flight issue is called adrenal-cortical hyperfunction. I deal with something like that. For those of us with this struggle, we need our family and others to get on board and be supportive rather than antagonists. They can help by noticing the start of an outburst and helping us remove ourselves from the situation.

But, we also need to learn to avoid the situations that can become triggers. There are things I just don't do or if I have to do them, I have my wife with me to help me moderate the situation. I actually carry a slip of paper in my wallet to had to someone when I end up over-reacting to explain my need for help.

It takes a lot of discipline to not over-do it. Even more when frontal lobe damage reduces our ability to make good decisions, especially quick or on-the-fly decisions. I try to avoid any situations where I will need to make quick decisions. That is a recipe for failure.

A big part of the solution for me is to try to live purposefully. By that I mean I avoid spur of the moment activities and events. I try to purposefully plan my activities with thought as to how much stress or effort will be required.

btw, I am not in agreement with a neuro-psych who says "I'd expect you would be significantly improved by now." Frontal lobe damage is not a simple fix or easy heal. Anybody who sets a timeline is not fully informed. Such a comment only burdens the patient.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote