View Single Post
Old 04-12-2016, 06:47 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I highly recommend you do not try to remove your ingrown toenail at home. There are several things that can go wrong without having CRPS.

When done in your doctor's office the removal of the nail is a sterile procedure to reduce the risk of infection. Some doctors even prefer to use a prophylactic antibiotics but others don't feel it is necessary. After talking it over with my doctors I elected not to use an antibiotic unless there are obvious signs of infection. I am instructed to call if any signs of infection appear.

As slip of the knife, or whatever instrument you are using, could cause a serious injury. When you are at home you may have no way to stop the bleeding. Also you could damage the nail bed which will only cause more problems.

If you do not get the whole portion of the ingrown toenail there are several complications that may result. One of these complications is a severe infection. The nail will continue to grown back ingrown if it is not properly removed.

Personally I could not imagine removing an ingrown toenail without a block or adequate pain medication. It can be very painful for someone without CRPS so you can imagine how bad it must be for one of us. When I get an ingrown toenail I can't even tolerate someone touching it let alone trying to remove it. I actually had a long talk with one of my podiatrists about which is worse the pain from the needle stick for the block or the procedure itself. I chose to do the block but to not use the "cold spray" they use to help numb the area while doing the stick.

This is all my opinion but please let a professional remove your ingrown toenail. And learn from my mistake and only let a podiatrist do it not an urgent care. My preferred podiatrist uses a zinc stick on the nail bed after removal to prevent the nail from growing back. Since my last procedure I have not had any problems and my nail edges are nice and smooth.
NurseKris is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Always_Believe (04-16-2016), birchlake (04-13-2016), DejaVu (06-19-2016), Inspiretoday (04-16-2016), Lara (04-12-2016), St George 2013 (04-12-2016)