View Single Post
Old 04-12-2016, 09:28 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Thanks Janie!

I think I will share this study the next time I go see a neurologist, making sure I highlight the following part by senior author Michael Polydefkis, M.D., professor of neurology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and director of the Cutaneous Nerve Lab:

"I liken small fiber neuropathy to the canary in the coal mine," "It signals the beginning of nerve deterioration that with time involves other types of nerve fibers and becomes more apparent and dramatically affects people's quality of life. The results of this new study add urgency to the need for more screening of those with the condition and faster intervention."

Perhaps the doctor will think twice before dismissing me and telling me to just take more meds for my symptoms. One can always hope....

Quote:
Originally Posted by janieg View Post
Had this link in my inbox this morning. Thought it was an interesting read.

"Small nerve fibers defy neuropathy conventions"

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-0...europathy.html

"Initially, he says, all patients with small fiber neuropathy had fewer nerve fibers at the test site on the ankle compared to the upper thigh, demonstrating more nerve damage the further down the leg measured. After three years, all three groups of those with small fiber neuropathy lost nerve fibers at the site tested in the ankle. But what surprised the researchers was that nerve fibers were lost at similar rates from the lower and upper thigh sites as well, a phenomenon that would not have been expected if the longest nerve fibers were the most vulnerable."
bluesfan (04-14-2016), Cliffman (04-12-2016), echoes long ago (04-12-2016), ShaggyChic_1201 (04-15-2016), St George 2013 (04-12-2016)