View Single Post
Old 04-12-2016, 12:29 PM
N/A

8 yr Member
N/A

8 yr Member

Hi all, reading this thread and the "fear factor"...of course there is fear in surgery, all surgery. I had so much fear when I was considering hip replacement in 2010, but finally did it....now I live with a lot of complications from this major surgery/trauma. I often think of where I'd be IF I had not done this. I know where I am now and in many ways worse off.

For my back which I've dealt with for over 60 yrs of advancing OA. I have MRI's that many would jump to surgeries but I will not. Talk about degeneration but I've made it to almost 78 and had a good life with the back mess. All advancing OA with aging.

But I bend and stretch and do other modalities to keep going. But will never do a back surgery. Unless it's a major emergency.

For me, I worked with an Osteopath for about 20 yrs at least starting in my 30's and into my 60's...he was a great D.O. and helped me thru my life with my back. My daughter is seeing a D.O. today actually for a tendon mess in her foot. Hoping upon Hope that this D.O. will be able to save her from foot surgery.

I've talked to many over the years who have done the fusions and many have to do another one and another one and it seems to go on. I talked my brother out of fusion/lam surgery last year and talking to him yesterday, he's doing OK. Still working at golf and playing golf. But a surgeon told him he "needed" back surgery.... I woke him up with all I've known and hear so often.

There is fear and people just don't realize what they can end up with. We all go in with positive thoughts for the best and then we deal with whatever.

Surgery should be last resort, surgery can't be undone.

Another opinion and thinking a D.O. could shed more light on your situations. And maybe even help to keep going without back surgery.

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed...ent/osteopathy

There are many links on Osteopathy but I posted this one and if anyone has an interest there are other links to read on this work.

I have a post in Medications/Treatments section here on D.O. vs M.D.

So whatever you all choose, good luck. But I had to throw this out.
caroline2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
onlymedid (04-13-2016)